Right now, 11 million immigrants face threats of detention and deportation every day. The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program has provided temporary relief from deportation to almost 800,000 young people who came to the United States as children. DACA has transformed lives, but it has been repeatedly subjected to legal challenges that have put the lives of all undocumented immigrants in limbo.
On October 14th, 2022, a federal judge in Texas, Judge Hanen, blocked the Biden administration’s new DACA rule (which would have replaced the 2012 DACA memo) from going into effect on October 31st, pending a final ruling. That effectively prevents approximately 400,000 immigrant youth from applying for temporary DACA protections.
It is vital to urge our Members of Congress to immediately pass permanent solutions that provide a pathway to citizenship for all of our undocumented neighbors. Any immigration legislation should uphold the inherent dignity of all.
Click “Send Email” to Contact Your 2 Senators and 1 Representative
On the right-hand side, you can send an email that connects you to your Members of Congress.
Sample Email/Script: “I’m your constituent from [city/town], and [as a faith leader/refugee leader], I urge you to support and pass a permanent pathway to citizenship for all undocumented immigrants. The recent decision by a federal judge in Texas to block the new Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) rule (which would have replaced the 2012 DACA memo) from going into effect on October 21st is unconscionable and immoral.
Not only are the lives of hundreds of thousands of immigrant youth at risk, but 11 million immigrants face threats of detention and deportation every day. Undocumented immigrants are our relatives, neighbors, colleagues, essential workers, educators, community leaders, and so much more. They are anchors in our communities and places of worship. Protections for undocumented immigrants should consider their deep ties within our communities.
We urge you to invest in immigrants’ future by supporting and passing permanent pathways for ALL undocumented immigrants. We urge you to take immediate action and deliver for our communities. Thank you.”
Amplify on Social Media: Use and share the Home is Here toolkit and the congressional end of year urgent action Toolkit which includes messaging, posts, and graphics. You can also amplify United We Dream’s explainer graphics of what this decision means on Instagram and TikTok. Additional messaging guidance is available here.
- A DACA fix could add $400 billion to the U.S. economy
- 225+ Orgs Sign Letter to Speaker Pelosi & Leader Schumer re: Prioritizing Protections for Immigrant Youth and DACA Recipients in End-of-year
- The Time is Now or Never for Dreamers
- National Immigration Law Center: DACA: What’s at Stake
- United We Dream: DACA Update: Judge Hanen’s Response
- Church World Service: Statement Calling for Congress to Swiftly Act to Pass Permanent Immigration Relief
- Interfaith Immigration Coalition: After Fifth Circuit DACA Decision, Faith Groups Continue to Demand Permanent Solutions
- Interfaith Immigration Coalition: Faith4DACA Fall 2022 Toolkit
- Center for American Progress: Resources on Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals
- Center for American Progress: Policy Analyst/Senior Policy Analyst, Immigration Policy
- Coalition for the American Dream Letter
Thank you for taking action, and please share this alert with your networks!