Reports To: Managing Attorney
Team: Immigration & Refugee-Miami Office
Location: Miami, Florida
Church World Service (CWS) is a not-for-profit organization working to eradicate hunger and poverty and to promote peace and justice around the world. To help build and maintain a diverse team, CWS actively seeks candidates from a wide variety of backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, use of a guide or support animal, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Please visit the link below to apply directly online to this position.
To provide legal representation to clients in accordance with the terms of CWS contracts with the funding sources. This position is responsible for case file reviews, court representation, and service provision.
- Conduct intake interviews with clients; prepare clients for court appearances and/or USCIS interviews.
- Ensure adequate representation for CWS clients at USCIS and EOIR, including but not limited to: Immigration Interviews, Asylum Hearings; Master Calendar Hearing; and submission of briefs to the Board of Immigration Appeals. Ensure adequate review of immigration forms completed by the legal staff.
- Negotiate with USCIS officers and Supervisors at local District Office or Service Centers to rectify problems faced by clients.
- Draft supplemental statements, rebuttals to Notices of Intent to Deny and Requests for Evidence; prepare and file immigration applications and motions; prepare other ancillary immigration papers, including Freedom of Information Act requests.
- Properly manage client appointments and professional duties to ensure thorough and professional representation of client interests.
- Conduct weekly file review to ensure that all case files are maintained appropriately as pertains to professional service delivery.
- Supervise support staff personnel to ensure successful achievement of daily activities as they pertain to Staff Attorney duties.
- Represent CWS/IRP at community based organization meetings, and various Task Force meetings, related to immigration issues.
- Respond to requests for information posed by Miami Staff and other legal service providers, as appropriate.
- Conduct legal research to support filed immigration applications.
- Provide legal and programmatic information for the development of grant applications and new programs on behalf of IRP/Miami legal and immigration services.
- Promote the CWS legal program through various media including newspaper, radio and television. Coordinate and plan outreach activities to achieve program goals
- Perform other related duties and special projects, as requested.
Education: Law degree with specialization in Immigration law.
Experience: Experience with immigration representation and other areas of Immigration Law, including asylum representation.
Ability to work cooperatively with other staff in a fast-paced work environment; membership in the Florida Bar preferred. Spanish language fluency required.