Over a month ago, President Joe Biden promised to expand refugee protection in the United States, and planned to issue a revised FY21 admissions goal, raising the number of refugees to be welcomed to the United States from 15,000 to 62,500. The Biden administration has already proposed, and met with Congress to discuss increasing the refugee admissions goal for this year to 62,500 to meet the unprecedented and ever evolving refugee crisis. To date, President Biden still has not made the change official, resulting in 700+ flights being cancelled and the indefinite suspension of travel for hundreds of additional refugees who do not fit into the previous administration’s harmfully restrictive allocation categories.
It is vital that President Biden sign the revised refugee admissions goal of 62,500 for FY21 as soon as possible. Each day that passes without this signed executive action is another day that hundreds of particularly vulnerable refugees are forced to wait to be resettled.
We need your help to make sure that President Biden immediately increases the FY21 refugee admissions goal and restores regional allocations based on vulnerability. Urge the Biden administration TODAY to immediately restore U.S. moral leadership in refugee protection and resettlement.
#1: CONTACT YOUR MEMBERS OF CONGRESS
Click “Send Email” on the right to send an email to your 2 Senators and 1 Representative!
Please make sure you personalize the first line of the email in brackets.
Sample Script: “I’m your constituent from [CITY/TOWN] and [as a person of faith / refugee] I urge you to protect refugees and tell the Biden administration to rebuild the U.S. refugee resettlement program by signing the revised refugee admissions goal for FY 2021 as soon as possible. As we face the worst refugee crisis in history, each day that passes without this signed executive action is another day that hundreds of particularly vulnerable refugees are forced to wait to be resettled. The administration has already met with Congress to discuss its proposed refugee admissions goal of 62,500 for this year to meet the unprecedented crisis, and now the President must make it official. To date, President Biden still has not made the change official resulting in 700+ flights being cancelled and the indefinite suspension of travel for hundreds of additional refugees who do not fit into the previous administration’s harmfully restrictive allocation categories. My community welcomes refugees, and I urge you to do the same.”
#2: TAKE ACTION ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Share this message on social media by using this social media toolkit and the sample posts below!
- .@potus ran on a platform to “build back better,” yet the US has failed to meet even Trump’s devastatingly low refugee admissions goal. President Biden, you MUST sign the new refugee admissions goal and fulfill the promise of safety for thousands of refugees. #RestoringWelcome
- President Biden, American communities are ready to welcome refugees with open arms. We need you to make it happen, please sign a revised admissions goal today! @POTUS @VP @WhiteHouse #RestoringWelcome #RefugeesWelcome [click to tweet]
- .@POTUS [As a person of faith/a refugee], I urge you to respect the sacred humanity of refugees and increase refugee admissions, restore resettlement program #BuildBackBetter @jakejsullivan @VP @WhiteHouse #RestoringWelcome
- During the worst refugee crisis in history, it is vital @POTUS takes immediate action to rebuild and increase refugee admissions #BuildBackBetter #RestoringWelcome @jakejsullivan @VP @WhiteHouse [click to tweet]
Take a picture of yourself holding a refugees welcome sign and include the following text:
- Over the last four years, the refugee resettlement program was strategically attacked, and refugee admissions shrunk by over 80% of our nation’s average. @POTUS promised that he would restore the program to its historic norms, and ensure that it was responsive to global need. But two months into his presidency, Biden is letting Trump’s legacy on refugees stand. We need a revised refugee admissions goal NOW. #RestoringWelcome is possible.
- 42 Heads of Communion and High Level Faith Leadership Letter to Biden to Sign Revised FY21 PD and Press Release
- 488 Faith Leaders and 133 Faith-Based Organizations Letter to President Biden to Sign Revised FY21 PD and Press Release
- 200+ Local, State, and National Organizations Letter Urging President Biden to Sign a Revised Refugee Admissions Goal and Press Release
- RCUSA Refugee Arrivals Mid-Year Report 2021
Thank you for taking action, and please share this alert with your networks!