Two years after the start of the inhumane Title 42 policy by the Trump administration, the Biden administration is continuing to misuse the unlawful and immoral order which blocks and expels individuals seeking refuge at the U.S. southern border. This policy has wrongfully expelled over 1.6 million people to danger without due process or the opportunity to seek asylum, forcing people back to danger in Mexico or the harm they fled. It has proven to be a discriminatory policy, particularly targeting Haitians and other Black migrants seeking safety. Since January 2021, more than 20,000 Haitians have been expelled on at least 208 expulsion and deportation flights to Haiti. Public health experts, including senior CDC experts, have consistently concluded that the policy lacks any public health rationale and have noted that the U.S. has the tools it needs to safely process asylum seekers.
On March 4th, 2022, two federal courts issued dueling decisions on the legality of Title 42. The D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals issued a generally positive decision in Huisha-Huisha v. Mayorkas, a class action lawsuit brought on behalf of asylum-seeking families, blocking Title 42 expulsions of families. After this ruling, a Texas ruling ordered the administration to stop exempting unaccompanied children from Title 42. Though the CDC formally terminated Title 42 for unaccompanied children one week later on March 11th, Title 42 remains in places for families and adults seeking safety.
The Biden administration must deliver on its promise and restore an orderly, welcoming and just asylum system. It is vital that we speak out against this anti-asylum policy and urge the administration to welcome people with dignity by immediately ending the use of the unlawful and immoral Title 42 policy and fully restore asylum protections.
Click “Send Email” or “Call Me” on the right to Contact Your 2 Senators and 1 Representative
You will be able to send an email or receive a phone call that connects you to your Members of Congress. Please make sure to insert your city/town in the highlighted portion.
Sample Email/Script: “I’m your constituent from [CITY/TOWN], and [as a faith leader/refugee leader] I am deeply disturbed to see people seeking asylum still being turned away and expelled under the misuse of the immoral and unlawful Title 42 policy. Under the policy, thousands of Haitian and other asylum seeking families and adults have been expelled to the very danger they fled. Public health experts, including senior CDC officials, have consistently stated that this policy does not protect public health.
Moreover, public health officials have outlined the severe physical and mental health consequences for asylum seekers expelled under the Title 42 policy. U.S. and international law require that people be permitted to exercise their right to seek asylum, yet we are still cruelly and unlawfully blocking and turning people away. The United States has the ability to protect public health and safeguard the lives of children, families, and adults seeking asylum and other humanitarian protection – just like we have for non-asylum seekers during the pandemic. Following a Texas court ruling ordering the administration to stop exempting children from Title 42, the CDC formally terminated the policy for unaccompanied children. However, this is not enough as families and adults are still subject to the anti-asylum policy.
I urge you to tell the Biden administration to immediately and fully restore asylum protections and welcome all people with dignity. My community welcomes asylum seekers and immigrants, and I urge you to do the same.“
Amplify on Social Media: Amplify this message on social media using the sample social below and these graphics.
- The Biden administration must restart asylum, including at ports of entry and along the border. #WelcomeWithDignity #RestoreAsylumNow #EndTitle42
- The United States has the ability to protect public health and safeguard the lives of children, families, and adults seeking asylum – just like we have for non-asylum seekers during the pandemic. #WelcomeWithDignity #RestoreAsylumNow #EndTitle42
- Ports of entry have been open to shoppers, tourists, and other travelers since November, but asylum seekers, even those with proof of vaccination, continue to be blocked and expelled. It’s time to #RestoreAsylumNow & #EndTitle42 https://bit.ly/3u3eXW7 https://bit.ly/3JkgAVE
- Institute for Justice & Democracy in Haiti (IJDH): Update on the Human Rights and Rule of Law Situation in Haiti
- Women’s Refugee Commission (WRC): Asylum Denied – Remain in Mexico 2.0
- Refugees International: Report by Espacio Migrante and Haitian Bridge Alliance Recommends New Approach to Migrants and Asylum Seekers in Tijuana
- Joint Letter to Administration Responding to RMX 2.0 and Title 42 Continuation
- The Group for the Advancement of Psychiatry Commentary: Psychiatrists Call for End to Cruel and Harmful Immigration Policy (Title 42)
- Joint Report: The U.S. Must Stop Deportations and Abuse Against Haitians
- Press Release: Federal Class Action Lawsuit Alleges Racist and Abusive Treatment of Haitian Migrants in Del Rio, Texas
Thank you for taking action, and please share this alert with your networks!