Position Title: Legal Executive Assistant
Reports To: Managing Attorney
Team: Immigration & Refugee-Miami Office
Church World Service (CWS) is a not-for-profit organization working to eradicate hunger and poverty and to promote peace and justice around the world. To help build and maintain a diverse team, CWS actively seeks candidates from a wide variety of backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, use of a guide or support animal, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Please visit the link below to apply directly online to this position.
Provide Managing Attorney with administrative and legal support, assistance with preparation of case files, and legal research. Perform outreach in the community.
- Assist Managing Attorney with trial preparation by preparing case files, exhibits, relief applications, waiver applications, and motions. Assemble case materials by collecting, organizing, and summarizing information, documents, reports, and evidence. Investigate facts, gather information, identify applicable laws, and review legal articles.
- Provide full administrative support to Managing Attorney. Maintain Managing Attorney’s calendar by entering and updating deadlines, court dates, and meetings. Properly managing client appointments and professional duties to ensure thorough and professional representation of client interests. Demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills to ensure proper communication with clients, court personnel, and other parties. Demonstrate strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Prepare legal drafts by assembling and organizing information for legal forms and documents, including the preparation and filing of immigration applications and motions; and preparing other ancillary immigration documents.
- Assist clients in completing their immigration applications, including, but not limited to employment authorization (I-765); permanent residence (I-485); asylum (I-589); parole renewal (I-94); citizenship (N-400). Spot potential problems and issues in each instance that may prevent applicant from receiving desired benefit. Identify potential solutions for identified issues and problems.
- Conduct intake interviews with clients and assist Managing Attorney with client consultations. Analyze each applicant to determine eligibility for desired immigration benefit and services. Prepare clients for USCIS interviews. Appear at immigration hearings and interviews as requested by Managing Attorney.
- Ensure adequate review of immigration forms completed by the legal staff. Develop and maintain accurate case list and manage case files. Conduct weekly file review to ensure that all case files are maintained appropriately as pertains to professional service delivery.
- Update job knowledge by participating in continuing educational opportunities. Participate in trainings and courses as needed to obtain partial or full DOJ accreditation.
- Represent CWS/IRP at community based organization meetings, and various Task Force meetings, related to immigration issues.
- Promote the CWS legal program through various media including newspaper, radio and television. Coordinate and plan outreach activities to achieve program goals.
- Perform other related duties and special projects, as requested by the Managing Attorney, CWS Director or designee.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience.
Experience: Experience with immigration representation and other areas of Immigration Law, including asylum.
Other Skills: Ability to work cooperatively with other staff in a fast-paced work environment. Spanish language fluency required. Strong computer literacy with knowledge of word processing and database applications. Ability to use standard office equipment in performing varied activities. Attention to detail. Respect of confidentiality. Strong English writing skills.