Position Title: Accounting Assistant (part-time 25 hours per week)
Reports To: Director CWS IRP Lancaster Office
Team: Immigration and Refugee Program
Location: Lancaster, PA
Church World Service (CWS) is a not-for-profit organization working to eradicate hunger and poverty and to promote peace and justice around the world. To help build and maintain a diverse team, CWS actively seeks candidates from a wide variety of backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, use of a guide or support animal, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Please visit the link below to apply directly online to this position.
Provide accounting and financial support for Lancaster Church World Service Immigration and Refugee Program (IRP) office. Experience in non-profit accounting and budget preparation and monitoring is important.
- Prepare monthly grant reimbursement requests (4) and submit to Church World Service Headquarters, or other funder, for processing.
- Receive, document and process all incoming funds and donations and submit to Church World Service Finance Center for processing.
- Monthly – prepare invoice for reimbursement of funds from program partners (4).
- Monthly – prepare spreadsheet for tracking budget vs. actual. This involves monitoring each individual grant for overages or underages.
- When necessary, adjustments to the actual general ledger line items will be made or budget revision requests will be prepared and sent to the appropriate grantor.
- Annually prepare expense report for local foundation grants.
- Assist in preparation of organizational budget and individual grant budgets.
- Will work closely with CWS general accounting office in Elkhart, IN.
Accounting degree or education or experience in bookkeeping and double entry accounting.
Minimum of three (3) years work experience in accounting or finance. Must be familiar with general ledger, double entry accounting and bookkeeping, and journal entries. In addition familiarity with non-profit accounting and budgeting is important. A good knowledge of MS Excel and using it for preparation and monitoring of budgets is essential.
Strong computer skills including proficiency in MS Office (Outlook, Excel, and Word), Quickbooks, and internet applications.
Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
Ability to give close attention to detail.
- Communications: Able to communicate thoroughly and with self-confidence a broad range of information relating to program or department. Communicate detailed and/or technical information clearly, in writing and orally.
- Constituent Relationships: Coordinate specific program activities with counterparts and include them in planning.
- Job Knowledge: Understand general business practices that support individual and program performance.
- Leadership: Accept accountability for assigned activities and adapt work style to perform independently or within a team.
- Problem Solving: Determine the scope of problems, gather all necessary information, analyze impact on other areas.
- Resource Building and Stewardship: Understand stewardship role in working within budget and monitoring finances. Prepare reports on program status relative to budget and finances.
- Teamwork: Network with other teams to discuss activities.