Position Title: Accounting Specialist (Full Time)
Reports To: CWS IRP Virginia Area Director
Team: Immigration and Refugee Program
Location: Richmond, VA
Church World Service (CWS) is a not-for-profit organization working to eradicate hunger and poverty and to promote peace and justice around the world. To help build and maintain a diverse team, CWS actively seeks candidates from a wide variety of backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, use of a guide or support animal, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Please visit the link below to apply directly online to this position.
Provide accounting and financial support for VA CWS Immigration and Refugee Program (IRP) offices located in Richmond and Harrisonburg, VA. This position is based in Richmond but may include occasional travel to the CWS IRP office in Harrisonburg, at the request of the VA Director.
Essential Duties (for Richmond office only unless otherwise indicated):
- Review, process and record all local office disbursements and enter necessary information into QuickBooks.
- Collect monthly expense reports for Director’s approval and submit to CWS NY for processing.
- Prepare monthly credit card statement reconciliations.
- Review, process and submit vendor invoices to CWS NY for processing.
- Prepare monthly USG grant reimbursement requests and submit to CWS NY Headquarters for processing. (Richmond & Harrisonburg)
- Receive, document and process all incoming funds and donations and submit to CWS Service Center for processing.
- Manage inventory records and account for all bulk items purchased (transportation, household items, etc.) to ensure that all items are recorded in client account records.
- Track invoices for inventoried furniture and/or household items and apply to clients’ accounts.
- Track in-kind contributions including volunteer hours and mileage for Matching Grant program.
- Reconcile bank account monthly and send to CWS Service Center for processing.
- Ensure adequate bank account balance; with approval of VA Director, request funds as necessary.
- Quarterly or as otherwise required, prepare invoice for reimbursement of funds from program partners. (Richmond & Harrisonburg; e.g., State Office of Newcomer Services)
- Quarterly request reimbursement donations spent from local bank account.
- Prepare weekly client payments Excel sheet for staff meetings.
- Process monthly travel and expense reimbursement forms submitted by staff.
- Coordinate in-kind contribution program with LDS Storehouse, including monthly report.
- Monthly prepare spreadsheet for tracking budget vs. actual. (Richmond & Harrisonburg)
- Assist VA Director in preparation of budgets. (Richmond & Harrisonburg)
- Annually or as otherwise required prepare expense report for local foundation grants.
- Undertake other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree preferred
Experience: 2+ years’ work experience in accounting or finance. QuickBooks experience strongly preferred.
- Communications: Able to communicate thoroughly and with self-confidence a broad range of information relating to program or department. Communicate detailed and/or technical information clearly, in writing and orally.
- Constituent Relationships: Coordinate specific program activities with counterparts and include them in planning.
- Job Knowledge: Understand general business practices that support individual and program performance.
- Leadership: Accept accountability for assigned activities and adapt work style to perform independently or within a team.
- Problem Solving: Determine the scope of problems, gather all necessary information, analyze impact on other areas.
- Resource Building and Stewardship: Understand stewardship role in working within budget and monitoring finances. Prepare reports on program status relative to budget and finances.
- Teamwork: Network with other teams to discuss activities.
Strong computer skills including proficiency in MS Office (Outlook, Excel, Word), QuickBooks, and internet applications. Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment. Ability to give close attention to detail.