Position Title: Communications Coordinator, Interfaith Immigration Coalition
Reports To: Co-Chairs of Interfaith Immigration Coalition
Location: Washington, DC
Team: Advocacy Team & Immigration and Refugee Program Team
Status: Full time, Exempt, Non-Bargaining Unit
Applications Due: COB Friday, January 5th, 2018
Church World Service (CWS) is a not-for-profit organization working to eradicate hunger and poverty and to promote peace and justice around the world. To help build and maintain a diverse team, CWS actively seeks candidates from a wide variety of backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, use of a guide or support animal, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Please visit the link below to apply directly online to this position.
The Interfaith Immigration Coalition, made up of almost 50 national, faith-based organizations, is looking for a full-time Communications Coordinator to increase the capacity, reach, and effectiveness of the IIC’s work in pursuing just and equitable policies for immigrants, refugees, and U.S. communities. This is a new position and the IIC is seeking an energetic communications professional who understands faith communities, enjoys working with coalitions, and has creative ideas to contribute to the IIC’s work.
The Communications Coordinator will develop and facilitate a media strategy, pitch stories and faith spokespersons, manage the IIC website and social media, draft media releases to be used by faith leaders and faith organizations, and expand the public reach of faith-based actions by collecting, mapping, and analyzing data from our national and local partners. The Communications Coordinator will elevate the presence and collective voice of faith groups around the country that are standing in solidarity for immigrants and refugees.
Roles and Responsibilities
Coordinate Messaging and Strategy
- Provide ideas and advice on the effect the IIC’s actions and legislative activities have in the media, strategizes about what actions and campaigns will attract press attention, and integrate press and messaging strategies into IIC campaigns and major projects.
- Strategize and implement effective messaging and testimonies for congressional briefings, meetings, speeches, etc.; evaluate changing needs in messaging and coverage of immigrants rights and refugee resettlement.
Expand Media Reach and Expertise
- Develop, facilitate, and evaluate a media strategy to promote the IIC’s work, strategize on two major media campaigns, and resource faith leaders working in solidarity with immigrants.
- Establish IIC members as “go-to” for Capitol Hill press events, build relationships with Members of Congress’ communications staff, and coordinate joint messaging opportunities.
- Connect IIC members with media outlets and ensure coverage of faith-based events in support of immigrant and refugee rights, including pitching to national and local media outlets on immigration and refugee policy issues.
- Draft letters to the editor, opinion editorials, media advisories, talking points, speeches, and press releases in support of faith-based events in solidarity with immigrants.
- Create media outreach and engagement toolkits and resources.
- Obtain media hits of national and local faith-based solidarity with immigrants.
- Place op-eds authored by faith leaders in support of immigrants.
- Train refugees, immigrants, and faith leaders as spokespersons to enhance their media outreach capacity.
- Coordinate press events and teleconferences, prepare and brief spokespeople, including national leaders.
- Train and equip IIC members and their local networks to strengthen their new media outreach regarding education and grassroots organizing.
Online Presence and Information Dissemination
- Provide direction for a proactive online and media strategies for national, state and local grassroots organizing around immigrant and refugee rights.
- Regularly update, organize, improve, and promote the interfaithimmigration.org website.
- Create and maintain a coalition style guide, incorporating branding, and relevant current terminology.
- Compile monthly data analysis of web tools and engagement, as well as best practices to share with partners.
- Promote Know Your Rights materials, integration resources, and tools for working in solidarity with impacted communities.
- Increase social media footprint by building base, engaging followers, and providing dynamic, useful content that is widely shared and impactful.
- Utilize contact and email list management systems for promoting media outreach, digital organizing, grassroots growth and advocacy priorities.
- Experience successfully placing stories and generating positive press coverage in local and national media outlets
- Minimum of a B.A./B.S. in communications, marketing, or public relations; academic experience in communications or public relations; or significant comparable professional experience
- Two to five years of experience working with traditional media and social networking
- Bilingual and Spanish preferred
- Experience doing media work within a community organizing framework
- Strong oral and written communication skills, solid organizational skills, sound political instincts, and ability to proactively identify opportunities to advance the campaign’s message in the media
- Experience planning, organizing, and executing national and local events, including logistics and media
- Familiarity dealing with crisis communications planning and situations
- Expertise in emerging new media opportunities and knowledge of best practices of engagement
- Familiarity with WordPress, media tracking software, and design, photo and video editing software
- Experience working with diverse coalitions and coordinating extensive short and long-term communications plans and goals
- Familiarity with search engine optimization, online ad buys, and online marketing best practices
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, work well under pressure and with tight deadlines, and balance multiple projects
- Familiar with immigration issues