Position Title: Paralegal
Reports To: Lead Paralegal
Location: Miami, FL
Team: Immigration & Refugee – Miami Office
Church World Service (CWS) is a not-for-profit organization working to eradicate hunger and poverty and to promote peace and justice around the world. To help build and maintain a diverse team, CWS actively seeks candidates from a wide variety of backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, use of a guide or support animal, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Please visit the link below to apply directly online to this position.
Assist the Lead Paralegal, Managing Attorney and/or the Staff Attorneys in the preparation of the case files including compiling application packets in an accurate fashion by completing required accompanying documents and providing interpretation/translation for attorney(s) and/or clients when necessary. Perform outreach in the community.
- Analyze each applicant to determine eligibility for desired immigration benefit.
- Spot potential problems and issues in each instance that may prevent applicant from receiving desired benefit.
- Identify potential solutions for identified issues and problems.
- Conduct intake and/or exit interviews and determine client eligibility for services.
- Assist clients in completing their immigration applications, including, but limited to employment authorization (I-765); permanent residence (I-485); asylum (I-589); parole renewal (I-94); citizenship (N-400).
- Compile application packets in an accurate fashion by completing required accompanying documents, such as birth certificates, marriage certificates, photographs, translations, etc.
- Develop and maintain accurate Case List and manage case files.
- Stay abreast of developments in immigration laws and changes in procedures.
- Act as interpreter or translator as needed.
- Review and clip relevant newspaper articles and file for later reference.
- Performs outreach during evening and weekends when necessary.
- Work from community partners locations as assigned.
- Perform other related duties as requested.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience. Fluent in Spanish required.
Previous work experience with asylum seekers, refugees, asylees, and immigrant entrants.
Strong computer literacy with knowledge of word processing and database applications. Ability to use standard office equipment in performing varied activities. Attention to detail. Respect of confidentiality. Strong English writing skills.