Vacancy Announcement: Regional Representative, Africa
Church World Service (CWS) is a faith-based organization transforming communities around the globe through just and sustainable responses to hunger, poverty, displacement and disaster.
CWS seeks a Regional Representative for Africa to lead it in developing and implementing innovative humanitarian and development programming in the region. This position is based in its Nairobi, Kenya office, with frequent travel throughout Sub-Saharan Africa.
The Regional Representative oversees and provides strategic direction to all CWS programming in Sub-Saharan Africa, including but not limited to: refugee protection and assistance, durable solutions, humanitarian and emergency response, and sustainable community-led development. The Regional Coordinator develops new and nurtures existing CWS partnerships, and identifies opportunities for CWS program growth and expansion in the region.
Position Title: Regional Representative, Africa
Location: Nairobi, Kenya, with frequent travel in Sub-Saharan Africa
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
- Oversee long-range strategic planning, programmatic direction and growth, and all programs and operations within Sub-Saharan Africa, including overall guidance to a multinational staff of approximately 400 persons.
- Represent CWS with government, intergovernmental, civil society and faith-based partners, stakeholders and forums in the region; and cultivate new relationships relevant to CWS programs and strategies.
- Ensure CWS complies with laws and regulations in countries where it maintains direct operational presence, including Kenya, South Africa and Tanzania, and lead efforts to register in new locations as operations require.
- Provide direct supervision to six senior managers, including Director of the Resettlement Support Center (RSC Africa) and other administrative and program leadership positions.
- Oversee the CWS regional budget, including a development and humanitarian response annual budget of $3.5 million, and provide overall guidance to CWS regional finance and administration, including compliance with CWS guidelines and funding agency requirements.
- Provide and/or mobilize technical expertise relevant to community development, emergency response, durable solutions, and capacity-building.
- Develop new donor contacts and oversee fundraising initiatives for CWS Africa programs.
- Oversee communication with media, humanitarian and development communities, donors, and partner agencies.
- Maintain a clear organizational structure and ensure the CWS Africa regional unit is adequately staffed to carry out planned activities.
- Serve as the primary liaison between agency headquarters and the staff in the region; and ensure that CWS staff and partners in Africa are kept informed of key agency directions, strategies and policies.
- Inspiring leader with at least 10 years of international working experience of with at least 3 years in a leadership position such as Regional Director or Country Director for a comparable INGO with experience managing managers located in multiple countries.
- Thorough understanding of global humanitarian and development opportunities and challenges; specific experience and knowledge related to Sub-Saharan Africa is preferred.
- Knowledge and/or demonstrated track record of building and managing programs in at least one of the following areas; knowledge and experience in more than one is preferred:
- Community development models
- Disaster response planning and execution
- Improving access to water and sanitation
- Increasing quality and safety of education
- Expanding livelihoods and self-reliance opportunities
- Improving food security and nutrition
- Durable solutions, including local integration and/or refugee resettlement
- Advanced degree (PhD, Masters, JD) in a related field is highly desirable.
How to Apply:
Please apply online via: http://cws.applicantstack.com/x/apply/a2h9xbojr4vt. Please note that CWS does not accept resumes for positions that are not posted. All applicants are required to submit their resume using the on-line applicant tracking system.
CWS uses ApplicantStack for all communications, please be sure to check your e-mail frequently and please check your junk/spam folder. Due to the volume of applications that we receive, only those individuals shortlisted will be contacted.
CWS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability or veteran status in employment or in the provision of services.
Updated 25 July 2017