Position Title: Senior Policy and Advocacy Officer
Reports To: Director of Advocacy
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Full Time, Exempt, Non-Bargaining Unit
Church World Service (CWS) is a not-for-profit organization working to eradicate hunger and poverty and to promote peace and justice around the world. CWS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability or veteran status in employment or in the provision of services.
Please visit the link below to apply directly online to this position.
Please note that CWS does not accept resumes for positions that are not posted. All applicants are required to submit their resume using the on-line applicant tracking system.
CWS uses Applicant Stack for all communications, please be sure to check your e-mail frequently and please check your junk/spam folder. Due to the volume of applications that we receive, only those individuals shortlisted will be contacted.
Church World Service, Inc. (CWS) is a faith-based relief, refugee and development organization transforming communities around the globe through just and sustainable responses to hunger, poverty, displacement, and disaster. Our organization advocates on behalf of vulnerable families and communities worldwide. The mission of CWS includes advocating for policies regarding changing weather conditions, malnutrition, accountability in humanitarian response, water provision, environmental stewardship, and community planning and resource management. We work to impact governmental policies in Cuba, Haiti, South American Chaco, and Israel/Palestine. The Senior Policy and Advocacy Officer will join a highly effective team in Washington, D.C., to work with partners to achieve lasting, sustainable change for the world’s most vulnerable people.
- Identify, conduct, and develop research on topics for public opinion and political decision-making consistent with the mission of Church World Service, Inc.
- Disseminate research results through written reports, online avenues, and/or other public presentations. Maintain current knowledge of policy decisions, structure and operation of governments, and political entities.
- Interpret and analyze policies, public issues, legislation, and the operations of governments, businesses, and other NGO and charity organizations as they impact the mission of Church World Service, Inc.
- Evaluate programs and policies, and make related recommendations to institutions and organizations via briefing documents and policy positions.
- Write drafts of legislative proposals, and prepare speeches, correspondence, and policy papers supporting the mission of Church World Service, Inc. and supporting the governmental use of such documents by the US Department of State, USAID; the Congress, the United Nations, multi-national institutions, and other influential international organizations.
- Apply professionalism, organizational and prioritization skills, clear oral and written communication, cultural sensitivity, and team work needed in all situations.
- Will perform related professional responsibilities as required.
- Requires Master’s degree/equivalent in Political Science, Social Sciences, International Policy or related area
- Requires 3 years of experience in design and implementation of effective policy strategies for public opinion and/or political decision-making within a non-profit environment.
- Requires 3 years of experience in all the following: development and identification of research, policy development, and writing policy papers for social and humanitarian issues; applying analytical skills; and interacting with government agencies.
- Experience may be gained concurrently.