Position: Executive Funds Development Consultant
Church World Service (CWS) is a global not-for-profit organization working to eradicate hunger and poverty and to promote peace and justice around the world. We seek a Consultant to act as our Executive leading Funds Development activities. This is an interim assignment that could lead to a long term role. It could be the perfect role for a Funds Development Leader in transition or who recently retired.
Though we are based in New York City, the right candidate could be based anywhere in the US.
The Executive Funds Development Consultant will function as the organization’s chief fundraising executive and works closely with the CEO, the Board of Directors, CWS leaders, member Communions, and other key stakeholders to meet both annual and long range goals of the organization. The role reports directly to the CEO of CWS.
- Participates with the CEO, Board, and CWS leaders to define the organization’s long-term strategic development plan.
- Designs measurable and attainable goals in annual development through events, Communion, individual gift, corporate, and foundation giving.
- Keeps informed of developments in philanthropy and fund development for the not-for-profit sector; informs the chief executive officer and board on current trends, issues, and challenges in order to facilitate Development policy making.
- Effectively communicate a long-term CWS Development plan vision.
- Establish annual strategy, budget, and goals for Development.
- Models the Faith values of CWS both within the organization and among donors.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant regulations and laws.
- Personally cultivates and actively engages a large portfolio of major donors involving the CEO and/or Board members, and key executives to the greatest extent possible.
- Work closely with the CEO and CFO to monitor both giving and development activities on a monthly basis to assure accountability to established goals.
- Measure and evaluate the effectiveness of all key Development programs, events, and activities.
- Identifies new and emerging Development opportunities.
- Expert fundraising experience, with a minimum of 10 years in fundraising or sales management in a socially responsible organization, with at least 3 years of experience in major gifts and 5+ years in management.
- The ability to convey one’s Faith and mission commitment through values, behaviors, and activities that model CWS’s values both within the organization and to donors and prospects.
- The ability to orchestrate strategic partnerships and collaborations between multiple parties on an international level.
- Effectiveness in working within CWS’s member Communions and commitment to CWS’s desire to continue moving toward a broader non-sectarian mission that honors its roots and heritage.
- The ability to travel a minimum of 25% of the time, with travel across the United States and globally.
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, a master’s degree preferred.
- Certified Fundraising Executive (CFRE) desired.
- Excellent people skills that lead, engage, and inspire staff, boards, volunteers, donors, and prospects.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to the mission of CWS.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong knowledge of planned giving and endowments sources.
- Proficiency with donor software, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Strategic and entrepreneurial assessment skills that are fluid in rapidly changing environments.
- Cultural sensitivity and awareness which allows a broad range of people to feel valued.
- Please visit the link below to apply directly online to this position.
- Please note that CWS does not accept resumes for positions that are not posted. All applicants are required to submit their resume using the on-line applicant tracking system.
- CWS uses Applicant Stack for all communications, please be sure to check your e-mail frequently and please check your junk/spam folder.Due to the volume of applications that we receive, only those individuals shortlisted will be contacted.
CWS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability or veteran status in employment or in the provision of services.