Position Title: Managing Attorney
Reports To: CWS/IRP Miami Office Director
Team: Immigration & Refugee – Miami Office
Salary: $58,400 – $60,500
Status: Exempt, Non-Bargaining Unit
Church World Service (CWS) is a not-for-profit organization working to eradicate hunger and poverty and to promote peace and justice around the world. CWS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability or veteran status in employment or in the provision of services.
Please visit the link below to apply directly online to this position.
Please note that CWS does not accept resumes for positions that are not posted. All applicants are required to submit their resume using the on-line applicant tracking system.
CWS uses Applicant Stack for all communications, please be sure to check your e-mail frequently and please check your junk/spam folder. Due to the volume of applications that we receive, only those individuals shortlisted will be contacted.
The incumbent is responsible for the management of all areas relating to the CWS Miami Office Legal Department. This position is responsible for the day to day operations of the legal department including but not limited to staff supervision, case review, and assignment of cases to staff attorneys, court representation, service provision and community outreach. The incumbent will be required to travel to the CWS Palm Beach and Broward Offices when deemed necessary.
- Ensure adequate representation for CWS clients at USCIS, including but not limited to: Immigration Interviews, Asylum Hearings; Master Calendar Hearing; and submission of briefs to the Board of Immigration Appeals. Ensure adequate review of immigration forms completed by the legal staff.
- Responsible for training and supervising legal staff, including: staff attorneys; paralegals; volunteer attorneys; law students and other volunteers.
- Apply for and maintain BIA Accreditation for the paralegal staff. Ensure Continuing Legal Education for attorneys and license requirements.
- Responsible for the oversight of the Department’s budget and expenses.
- Ensure the maintenance of legal and documentation library: selecting and ordering subscriptions; selecting and filing relevant newspaper articles; and supervising legal staff in library maintenance.
- Provide guidance in local and national advocacy efforts on behalf of immigrants, refugees, entrants and asylum seekers.
- Provide monthly activity reports to the IRP Miami Director.
- Holds weekly meetings with legal staff to assign new cases as well as the review and discussion of on-going cases.
- Prepare and submit monthly, trimester and/or semi-annual reports to funders and appropriate agencies. Monitor program performance and ensure that program meets performance goals set by funding source contracts.
- Approve and coordinate staff time off ensuring continuous and adequate program coverage.
- Represent CWS/IRP at community based organization meetings, and various Task Force meetings, related to immigration issues.
- Promote the CWS legal program through various media including newspaper, radio and television. Coordinate and plan outreach activities to achieve program goals
- Perform other related duties and special projects as requested.
Law degree with specialization in immigration law. Admission to the Florida bar.
Three years professional legal experience, with experience working with churches or church-based organizations preferred. Demonstrated ability to manage a multi-program department and supervise a diverse staff.
Working knowledge of Spanish and/or Haitian Creole required.