Reports To: Jersey City Director
Team: Immigration & Refugee Program – Jersey City Office
Salary/Grade: $36,026.90/year / Grade 3
Status: Non-Exempt; Non-Bargaining Unit
Church World Service (CWS) is a not-for-profit organization working to eradicate hunger and poverty and to promote peace and justice around the world. CWS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability or veteran status in employment or in the provision of services.
Please visit the link below to apply directly online to this position.
Please note that CWS does not accept resumes for positions that are not posted. All applicants are required to submit their resume using the on-line applicant tracking system.
CWS uses Applicant Stack for all communications, please be sure to check your e-mail frequently and please check your junk/spam folder. Due to the volume of applications that we receive, only those individuals shortlisted will be contacted.
The Immigration and Refugee Program Caseworker provides orientation and on-going case management services to U.S. Tie and non U.S. case refugees resettled through Immigration and Refugee Program. The Case Manager offers support and services to refugees to help them successfully make a new home in the United States. Core services include airport reception, initial housing, orientation to the community, and assistance with application for public benefits, children’s school enrollment, adult English as a Second Language (ESL) enrollment, and obtaining employment.
- Provides cultural and program orientation and information to newly arrived clients, including information regarding rights and responsibilities, as well as federal and local services available to clients.
- Creates comprehensive case plan with client and works together with client to help them meet self-sufficiency goals.
- Work with colleagues, volunteers and key stakeholders in the local community to ensure that refugees are offered all core services in a timely manner.
- Documents all contacts and services in client case files and maintain case note logs. Ensure that all core services are documented in the case notes as well as in the operational guidance report. Complete 90 day reports for all clients and additional reports as necessary.
- Offer interpretation and translation services to refugee clients, as well as transportation to interviews and appointments as necessary. (Compensation is paid by CWS for mileage when using personal vehicle.)
- Secures housing that is decent, safe, and sanitary; assists with establishing apartment and setting up utilities. Furnishes apartments with donated beds, sofas, tables, chairs, refrigerators, etc. in preparation for arrival of new clients. .
- Meets new arrivals at airport; transports to new apartment and provides home safety orientation.
- Provides on-going case management to clients according to the terms of the Cooperative Agreement with Department of Homeland Security.
- Provides one-on-one guidance and information in regards to financial responsibilities, budgeting, and short and long term financial planning.
- Provides referrals to social service providers and government agencies; schedules appointments.
- Conducts home visits to clients as required, paying special attention to cases that include minors.
- Performs other related duties as requested.
- Works evening and/or weekend hours on occasion as required,
Language: Fluency in Arabic desired but not required.
High School graduate or equivalent. Some college preferred.
The successful candidate must have a minimum of one year’s previous work experience working with refugees and immigrants, providing familiarity with U.S. refugee and/or immigration issues and terminology. A background in case management or social work and/or professional interpretation is desirable.
The successful candidate must be computer literate, with proficiency in MS Office and internet applications. A valid driver’s license is also required, along with the ability to move furniture and donations. The candidate will be expected to transport clients in their own vehicle (mileage will be reimbursed) and must have a reliable working car for this purpose.